The Cascade Vapor-Compression Refrigeration Cycle
How can we make the cold space even colder (reduce TC) and reject heat at an even higher temperature (increase TH) without dramatically increasing the cost to build the refrigeration system ?
refrigeration cyclesthat use two different
refrigerantsare linked by a heat exchanger.
- The lower cycle is colder and it absorbs heat from the refrigerated space.
- The lower cycle rejects heat into the upper cycle through the heat exchanger.
- The upper cycle absorbs heat from the lower cycle through the heat exchanger.
- The upper cycle is hotter and can reject heat to a very hot reservoir.
- Can use the same refrigerant in both cycles or use a refrigerant with a low vapor pressure in the upper cycle and one with a relatively high vapor pressure in the lower cycle.
© B-Cubed, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2014. All rights reserved.
Roll your mouse over this box to close.
Join Learn Thermodynamics Advantage
- Download Data Tables
- Download Study Aids
- Homework problem hints and answers
- Get Help from Dr. B in the LT Blog
- 120 day membership
Get it ALL for $5 US